Hazel Brill Jackson (1894 - 1991)
7 1/2 inches tall (8 1/2 inches including base)
HBJ / © 1979 3/15:
From an edition of 15
Tallix foundry mark
[Tallix Foundry, New York, April 30, 1987, as agent]
John P. Axelrod, Boston, Massachusetts
Private Collection, Sudbury, Massachusetts, gift from the above
Animal sculptor Hazel Brill Jackson was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in1894. She was educated at the School of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, Massachusetts; in Rome, Italy by Angelo Zanelli; and in Florence, Italy at the Scuola Rosatti. She also studied with Charles Grafly and Bela Pratt.
A sculptor of dogs and horses, as well as other animals, she was a member of the National Sculpture Society, New York City. In exhibitions at the National Academy of Design, in New York City, she won the Altman Prize in 1945, and Ellen P. Speyer Memorial Prize in 1949. She was elected an Associate of the National Academy in 1956, an Academician in 1961.
She exhibited at the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Boston Artists Guild, Massachusetts; Springfield Museum of Fine Arts; Royal Academy of Scotland; and three museums in Italy, the Art Museum of Florence, Art Museum of Trieste, and National Museum of Modern Art, in Rome. In 1924, she exhibited at the Concord Art Association in a show featuring such prominent artists as Claude Monet, Mary Cassatt and George Bellows.
Her work is in the collections of the Calgary Museum, Alberta, Canada; Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, New York; Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire; and Wellesley College, Massachusetts.
Jackson was commissioned by the Dominican laity to sculpt an eighteen-inch-high bronze sculpture of St. Catherine of Siena on the six hundredth anniversary of the death of the Saint. The fourth of five castings, the work is in the cloister walk of the Dominican House of Studies on Michigan Avenue in Washington, D.C. The original sculpture was presented to Pope John Paul II for the Vatican Museum.