Brock & Co.

Elliott Daingerfield (1859 - 1932)
The Team, c. 1915
Oil on canvas
24 x 27 inches
Signed at lower right: Elliott Daingerfield
American Barbizon style frame
Private Collection, Thomasville, Georgia
The Charleston Renaissance Gallery
Private Collection, St. Louis, Missouri, 2007
Cedarhurst Center for the Arts, Mt. Vernon, Illinois, 2008
St. Louis Mercantile Library, St. Louis, Missouri, 2009
Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Memphis, Tennessee, 2009
Zanesville Art Center, Zanesville, Ohio, 2009
Mennello Museum of American Art, Orlando, Florida, 2010
Morris Museum of Art, Augusta, Georgia, 2010
Springfield Museum of Art, Springfield, Ohio, 2010
Born in Harper's Ferry, Virginia, Elliott Daingerfield was raised and educated in Fayetteville, North Carolina. A talented artist, he earned a strong reputation while still very young. At times referred to as “the American Millet,” a term applied primarily to his earliest works, Daingerfield followed in the tradition of the artists he admired and wrote about, George Inness, Albert Pinkham Ryder, and Ralph Blakelock.

At age 21, he moved to New York City to study with George Inness Sr. and Walter Satterlee at the Art Students League. Inness became a great promoter of Daingerfield's painting, and he was soon exhibiting at the National Academy of Design. He also joined the prestigious Holbein Studios.

Daingerfield went to Blowing Rock, North Carolina, in the summer of 1886 for his health and kept a summer studio there for the rest of his life. Students from the Penn School of Design often came and spent extended periods with Daingerfield and his family in Blowing Rock, continuing their studies and painting in the studio or out on the mountains. He taught at the school from l895 to 1915.

In 1897 and 1924, he was in Europe and became influenced by the Barbizon School of painting. In the 1890s, he turned to religious subjects including a series of large murals for New York churches. He asserted that art was a vehicle of God's expression, the "language of the spirit."

After much ill health, he moved his studio from Blowing Rock to Gainsborough, North Carolina where he died in 1932.